5th June 2017
EP Desk

BP PLC has started gas production from Taurus and Libra fields, the first two of five fields in the West Nile Delta development of Egypt.

The fields are currently producing more than 700 MMscfd of sales gas and 1,000 b/d of condensate.

Following final approval in 2015, development of Taurus and Libra was fast-tracked by 8 months to enable delivery of an annual average of more than 600 MMscfd to Egypt’s national gas grid, which first received gas from the project Mar. 24.

The Taurus and Libra project is a subsea greenfield development including nine wells—six in Taurus and three in Libra—and a 42-km tieback to the existing onshore processing facility where gas enters the Egyptian grid via a nearby export pipeline. Commissioning of all nine wells and ramp up to stable operations has been completed.

BP is operator of the West Nile Delta project with 82.75% interest. DEA Deutsche Erdoel AG holds the remaining 17.25%.