Two boys were admitted to Dhaka Medical College Hospital recently with critical burn injuries about one and a half hours after a gas explosion in their residence at Madaninagar under Siddhirganj in Narayanganj.
The victims were Jubayer Ahmed, 13, son of Alamgir Hossain of Dewanganj in Jamalpur, and his cousin Sifat Rahman, 12, son of Rezaul Huq of Madaninagar under Siddhirganj.
Jubayer received burns on 90 per cent of his body and Sifat on 95 per cent of his body, said the duty doctor at the burn and plastic surgery unit of DMCH.
Quoting the victim’s family, DMCH police outpost in-charge Bachchu Mia said that Jubayer came to visit Sifat’s residence housed on the ground floor of a three-storey building.
He said that the family members could hear the cries of the duo who had been playing on the roof of the building when the gas line on the ground floor exploded with a big bang, causing the adjacent electric line to catch fire from there.